Tuesday, November 06, 2018

My "last day" at "work"

Today got off to a great start and then crashed and burned! but I'm still in one piece and I have my house, so I won't complain too much. 🍷

I got on the bus and a list to the polls, worked my way around the ID kerfuffle to be able to get the job that starts on the 12th, and went to my volunteer gig. There's no way around having to get a copy of my birth certificate and having to pay almost $100 for everything that it requires. But it's best I don't run around with an expired ID. Apparently having an expired out of state ID makes you less of an American citizen. Colonialism, am I right?

I was fortunate to be able to work around it for the sake of employment, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to get away with much. Fortunately, my voter ID card was good enough identification because it has its own number!

And I actually quit my job last night, but it came in for the volunteer portion. Being paid would have subjected me to the elements while bus/ spot canvassing, while doing the phone and text banking as volunteer experience would have me sitting cozy in a building with mostly like-minded people, and food! It's the get out to vote movement that's important, not how I do it. I said to hell with that $15 an hour for only 3 hours and did a 5 hours of text Banking, and I feel like I got a lot more done! I listen to music, I ate food, and didn't have to worry about where I was using the restroom!

And of course the co-director came down and asked me how was canvassing was, and I told him that I decided to forego the paid position due to the weather and text bank as a volunteer to be indoors. You really should have seen the look on his face. People are always surprised what I'm willing to sacrifice for my own comfort. And a black person told a white man he can keep his money and they aren't going to do what he wants them to do. This was wonderful for a lot of different reasons! Fortunately, that person was heading in as I was heading out!

I got a bottle of Ruby port, and after that is when things fell apart. It was really just that dumb Lyft driver that I hope no one has to suffer through. He doesn't know the area, he majorly lacks communication skills, and really shouldn't be a local driver to the area. I complained and got a refund, but after I already wasted 30 minutes that I could have been spent being closer to getting back to where I'm currently staying about 30 minutes earlier! And, of course, I still had to take public transportation. I just wanted a quick quiet ride home without fluorescent lights and dirty floors and seats - but apparently that was too much to ask of this bum rush City. The bus was fine, but the train is always messy in one car or another - mine tonight had chicken pieces in it. but I got back to where I'm staying safe and sound. I'm watching internet videos under a nice warm heater with a cup of Rudy Port. I may eat some food. I'll deal with whatever their election results are tomorrow. Right now, it's time for rest. 🍗🐟🍷🌌🏙️🌃🚿🛁🛏️📱

No comments:

Post a Comment