Saturday, April 20, 2019

Lower priority to CS

with my recent experiences with couchsurfing, I decided to lower my priorities to the commitment of this region. I know that every place is different, but the Midwest is cutting up too bad.

Someone blocked me for calling them boring. Someone I haven't spoken to in over a year blocked me when I joined a recent event, and I haven't spoken to them directly since that year. someone in a different city declined my stay because they asked me for my number, and I asked them what they were going to use it for. I didn't reject or accept the request, I just asked them why they needed my personal number. the person just said "to help couchsurfers connect", and then declined my stay request and said "best of luck". What the fuck kind of shady bullshit is that?

After my first meet up, I also learned not to go too far out of my way for anything. Almost 30 people RSVP for my event, and three people showed up. I already knew one of them beforehand, who was invited as a community member and a prior friend. I like to host things and hold space, so I'm still going to have meetups, but I'm not going to go too far from my comfort zone to do it, because people won't show up. Putting out a lot and not get getting nearly enough back. No where near breaking even for all my effort.

Before those events, some would offer to help me co-host events. And then ghosted me ON FACEBOOK. Where I could see that the person read my messages, and just didn't reply. I messaged them reaching out to see where they were at was helping me and they didn't respond until after I said I can take the hint and I'll leave them alone. I didn't even bother to read what they responded, because it doesn't matter how they feel. If they had communicated over the week I gave to respond, it wouldn't have gotten to that point.

These people just don't have any respect for other people's time and effort. not going to stop hanging out, because I want to be in the community. But it's been made clear that this region's community is not the right one for me. And I honestly wouldn't suggest them to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment