Sunday, May 20, 2018

Liquor store end

Friday was my last day at Zipps Liquor store. I turned the drama up on a normal issue to give myself an out because of an event that happened earlier that day.

What happened was a very suddenly forced and sudden meeting with one of the owners about why Zipps isn't participating in the Jj Taylor strike. I was informed that only 2 businesses are taking a stance with the truck drives in the strike and they are still accepting Jj products. But, for the way it was brought up I feel like it was a condescending view on the businesses that vocally sided with the workers.

I was also told the Zipps is to mention a neutral stance in all political subjects because "we need everyone to feel comfortable shopping here". And, the manager specifically said - without any prompt - "people that are for or against abortion". With something as extreme as abortion being brought up as a subject, that would lead my train of thought to Zipps being comfortable with people in hate groups shopping there.

The real slap in the face was after all this that manager demanded that if a customer asks about the strike is that I reply "I don't know. Please ask the manager." How dare the employment class demand I speak on their behalf for their benefit. Zipps wants everyone to do the position they applied for and be housekeeping and security. Those are 2 completely different positions that we are forced to do without previous explaination to the positions with proper consent and are not being paid any extra for those other duties. As a cashier, I was only starting at $10 /hr with only a .50¢ increase after 90 days, but no other set raises after that. I was told by a former employee that they make raises hard to get and a person has to show major devotion to get a raise after that. Time being their after those first 90 days does not make a raise stable.

Zipps Liquor of Mlps MN is a crime against workers! This is why all jobs need unions! There's no such thing as being neutral! Everyone should do the job they have signed up and agreed to do, and nothing more. Security is a different position from the other jobs, so that should be it's own person. People should be paid a living wage, and if Zipps can't afford to they shouldn't be in business.

No comments:

Post a Comment